The first thing in this week’s reading that really caught my
attention was that it is not the computer that does the work, it is the
designer and the computer is the tool. I
thought it was cool how the author related it to a guitar. This made me look at
it differently, you can have all the proper tools in front of you but you need
to know how to use them and open your mind when using them in order for them to
work properly. I found it relatable to myself in the section where they were
discussing how not all graphic designers are concentrated in the fine arts. As
a psychology major I am most certainly not studying in the fine arts. However,
this does not mean that I can’t have an interest in this area or that I cannot
be successful at it either. One thing that was said was that graphic design was
sometimes repetitive tasks, but I think this is true with anything. That’s what
makes you good at something doing it over and over again. Also, I feel like
with graphic design it always seems a little different since it is a different
image or base that you are starting and working with. I think that graphic design
has become more popular over the years partially because of the growing
popularity of computers, social media, and photography. Even the every day
person wants to be able to show off cool looking things to their friends. In
the second part of this weeks reading, I thought it was very interesting when
Glaser said that a difficulty in graphic design is putting the pleasure and
some creativity to the side to make it match with business needs. I can see how
this could be difficult but it was something that I had never thought of before
as a problem. One quote that stood out to me was something Craig Frazier said “Passion,
desire, and an ability to learn by observation and practice” (17). I think that
this is true for not only those pursuing a graphic design career but any
career.
No comments:
Post a Comment